Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Back in Segregation for an "Investigation"

Ani wants to write more soon as he can.  He has been put back in segregation, whisked off his job, jerked into the confines of solitary.  This is what I emailed to his attorney a week ago:

"...when I went to visit Ani today, I found he had been taken off his job in the kitchen this morning and sent to segregation for "investigation" of the circumstances around a piece of paper he was handed while getting dressed for work on Friday.  I had an hour of camera visit with him.   It took an hour of going over the facts with him for them to be more clear in his head so he understood more clearly the situation and what was being investigated.  I hope he won't be found guilty of anything as I don't see anything he did, but the paper, which he says was handed to him but he didn't read and threw away, was apparently about payment for smuggling intoxicants in.  He doesn't know anything about it but apparently it fell out of someone's pocket or shoe in the changing room and his friend picked it up and handed it to him and asked him if it was his.  He says he didn't open it, but handed it back and said it wasn't his.  They apparently have this all on camera, so we'll see what they make of it.  If the correctional staff had even a little training on how to deal with inmates with FASD, they could be so much more effective."

So, I didn't hear anything from him for a week.  When I visited him again today through the camera, I found him depressed.  He said he had not heard a thing from anyone about why they are keeping him there or if they plan to charge him with anything.  He said he had been sleeping a lot.  He was noticeable more cheerful by the time I left.  I'm glad that I can have that effect on him.  It is tough to see how much power they have in a place like that to come right into their lives and put them in solitary confinement and how often they do it - at least to him.  I can certainly understand how simply that act of assertion of power over your life can be very demoralizing.  It reminds me of how often that was done to him as a young child - taken out of the home he was in and whisked away out of the blue one day, never to see these people again. 

I have hopes that he will soon be out and they will give him his job back.  He had been enjoying being back in the kitchen, making jokes all day long, and creating smiles wherever he goes.  I sure miss his daily phone calls and the visits in the visiting room.  Visiting by camera is surely not the same thing.

Ani said he plans to write another post soon to his blog.

Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment