Wednesday, September 1, 2010

SWEET NECTAR OF THE GODS

Have I mentioned that I love Kool-aid? Well, I do. I'll drink any flavor but I know being pre-diabetic having too much sugar isn't good for me. So what's a guy to do? One of the first things that you learn in the joint is that nearly everything has a price. There is a thriving under-market for anything that we can't buy off of the canteen or can be stolen from the state. The kitchen is one of the primary sources of contraband. We don't get to buy fresh produce to cook with, so we buy fresh onions, green pepper, cheese, ground beef from people willing to risk smuggling it out of food service. Lately, the DOC has been on a "health" kick so they replaced our soda that we used to get with meals with sugar-free Kool-aid. So once a week I pay about the equivalent of three stamped envelopes for a bag of drink mix the size of a small apple. The best is lemonade. The most weird is grape. Grape is the least popular because grape is like a bad party guest. You know the guy gets drunk and pukes on your deck, stumbles into things, and says the most inappropriate stuff. Grape does not play well with other flavors; if you add grape to any other flavor - it all becomes grape. Grape don't know how to act right. I used to caddy at a golf course when I was a shorty, and when we made the turn the golfer for whom you were caddying would buy a grape juice and 7-up concoction. So I got used to the flavor combo. To this day I still mix Diet Sierra Mist with my Kool-aid. Just thought that you'd like to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment